My Mother always made this recipe from the packet of ‘Kellogg’s All Bran’. I then didn’t hear about it for years until I started working at Coniston Youth Hostel as the Senior Assistant and found it was their staple for putting in pack lunches. I managed to find the recipe again recently. My wife is a diabetic so I replace two thirds of the sugar with sweetener. I tried removing all the sugar but the consistency was dreadful. Also with the bran for fibre and the absence of fat makes this cake is quite healthy.
- 100g All bran
- 175g Granulated sugar
- 150g Mixed dried fruit
- 300ml Skimmed Milk
- 100g Wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- Place the All bran, Sugar and mixed fruit in a mixing bowl and pour in the milk. Give it a stir and leave for 5 minutes to soak into the bran.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder and then stir into the bran mixture making sure it is mixed in well.
- Transfer to a standard loaf tin and bake in the oven for one hour.
- Let it cool a little and remove from the tin.
- My wife is a diabetic so I replace 100g of the sugar with 10g of sweetener. The reason I don't replace it all is that it needs some sugar to give a good consistency..